sylvia_swann's profile

Wednesday, November 29th, 2023 7:58 AM

Mycotoxins in oats

Hi there,

my kids and I went full-time Oatly a couple of years back. (Hello glyphosate free products). But now we are all struggling with digestion and inflammation, and we have an otherwise not-so-inflammatory diet. I am concerned to find that there are plenty of mycotoxins in grains and have to ask myself how consuming oat products several times a day will impact mine and my kids' health longterm). Can you please tell me any and all measures you are taking to ensure this amount stays at an absolute minimum, what is your plan longterm to deal with these issues? My guess is there will be widespread panic about this at some point because that's just how people are. 

141 Messages

11 months ago

Hello Sylvia,

thank you for your message! 

So sorry to hear you and your kids are struggling with digestive issues. When it comes to health matters we always recommend consulting with a health care provider or dietitian first, since they'll be able to get a full picture of your diet and provide recommendations on individual nutritional needs. That said we appreciate you reaching out to ask us about our products and we’ll do our best to ease your concerns here!

In regards to mycotoxins in the food we eat, the World Health Organization (WHO) provides thorough information and potential risk factors here. While oats are not listed in the grains to be at high risk for contamination by mycotoxins, we're obviously keen to make sure our raw material is stored properly as well as continuously analyzed for contamination (by any forms of toxins). Therefore we continually quality test our oats - as well as all ingredients we use - to make sure that everything entering our production is food grade and below FDA limits. And as a food producer we’re obliged to follow required Food Safety and Quality policy in place to make sure our products are safe to consume before leaving our oat factory. After that point, it’s important that our products are stored and handled correctly (as per the instructions seen on pack). We don’t add preservatives to our recipes so usually if not handled properly or contaminated, our products will get spoiled. The general rule is that as long as the smell and taste is OK, they’re perfectly fine to consume! 

When it comes to your question on long term health affects when using our products, world-wide nutritional guidelines agree that plant-based products (such as ours) indeed have a place and contributes to a healthy and sustainable diet. Our products are intended to replace cow’s milk products and we’ve served them to people who don’t want to consume dairy for one reason or the other in the past thirty years. Oats are good for most people, but again when it comes to what we eat and drink it's all very individual.

I hope you and your kids will find what’s causing your issues! Any questions or concerns, we’re here to chat.

Love,

Åsa at Oatly