Dragongeek 's profile

Friday, September 22nd, 2023 8:00 AM

oatly for diabetics

Hey so. I sadly had the misfortune of getting diagnosed with pre diabetes. And I’ve been looking around a lot to change my diet accordingly. I can consume cow milk in small quantities but was thinking of just switching entirely to an alternative. I was wondering if anyone had experience with oat milk and if it affects blood sugar a lot. Thank you so much in Advance. 

Accepted Solution

132 Messages

10 months ago

Hi friend!

Thanks for reaching out. 

We believe our products can be part of a healthy diet and lifestyle for the population general - including those with diabetes, like you. As always when it comes to what we eat and drink it’s the complete diet that’s important but good to know about our unflavoured oat drinks is that they:

•  Have no added sweeteners (containing 3.4g sugar per 100 ml - which is maltose derived from the oats)
•  Are low in saturated fats and salt
•  Fortified with calcium and vitamins – and oats also contain fibres, called beta-glucans.

Hope this was helpful! Any questions or concerns, please let us know.

Love, 

Åsa at Oatly

2 Messages

Could you tell us more about this "beta-glucans" content please? I have been told I need to reduce my cholesterol and am thinking of changing my oat milk brand to Oatly as I think I read your process maintains a higher level (at https://hcp.oatly.com/heart-health/oats-beta-glucan-cholesterol). But are the levels of beta glucan the same for all types of your oat milk i.e. skinny vs normal? Or indeed are Oatly beta glucan levels really higher than other similar products?

132 Messages

Hi Colin,

Glad you asked!

All oats naturally contain the beta-glucan soluble fiber so that’s not unique for us; however, we’ve found a way to retain these in our oat drink process. There is naturally about 5g of beta-glucans per 100g of oats and your Oatly oat drink contains 0.8g fibre per 100g – of which half are beta-glucans. 

And you’re right in that they can contribute to maintaining normal cholesterol levels in your blood! More specifically, one 250 ml glass of Oatly provides a third (1 g) of the daily requirement of beta-glucan to get their beneficial effects (i.e. a daily intake of 3g). 

Drink your fibers, as we like to say! Hope this was helpful information.

Love,

Åsa at Oatly

2 Messages

Great, thanks for the information.

8 months ago

Hi! Just wanted to respond to this. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and unfortunately, the sugar and carb content in the full Oatly was much too high and my blood sugars really spiked after drinking it, so I had to quit it. I could eat bread but not drink Oatly. That said, I am now going to they the no sugar variant, because while it contains almost as much carbs, the sugar content is zero so it takes your body a bit more time to turn it into sugar and that hopefully helps maintaining a stable blood sugar. (Not pregnant anymore so no gestational diabetes, but I'm trying to get pregnant again and it's important to watch my blood sugar levels)

132 Messages

Hi Tamar,

thank you for your input. Glad you've found an oat drink that works for you!

Much to your point, the GI and GL levels in food are relevant for those with diabetes and the blood sugar response is all very individual. For most people, a regular consumption of oats is able to lower the total cholesterol level and more fiber in our diet means better regulation of blood glucose levels, according to studies. There's an article on all this here if you're interested in a deep-dive! 

Love,

Åsa at Oatly