Inez's profile

Thursday, June 23rd, 2022 9:53 AM

Can an unopened Oatly carton be stored in the fridge?

It certainly can! In fact, all our drinking cartons can be kept in the fridge unopened. What’s important to point out, though, is whether our unopened cartons MUST or CAN go straight in the fridge after buying. This will depend on which type of oat drink you’ve chosen since we have two different ranges with different storage requirements.  Our range of chilled oat drinks with the slanted-top-cartons need to be refrigerated both before and after opening - otherwise they’ll lose their freshness. On the contrary, our ambient drinks come in a so-called aseptic packaging with an inner seal and different layers that provide the product with long-life qualities. This means that they can be stored at room temperature for 12 months. Once opened, they’ll need to go in the fridge too. But if you're the kind of person that wakes up at 3am craving some chilled oat drink straight from the carton or if you just prefer the feeling of cereal mixed with some chilled liquid oats, then you might even want to store your ambient oat drink in the fridge at all times!

Wondering how to store any of our other products? It varies a little so the best way to find out is to read what it says on the side of each pack.   

4 Messages

2 years ago

Dear, for the ambient oat drink? can we store it in room temperature in summer? As that is more than 35 degree in summer. 

8 Messages

Hello there,

Our ambient oat drinks can be stored in room temperature as long as the place is dry and somewhat ventilated. However, 35 degrees may be a little to warm, so we recommend you to find a cooler place to store your oat friends, just to be safe!

All the best,

Karim at Oatly

(edited)

4 Messages

thanks Karim. 

1 year ago

I purchase the ambient barista edition a case at a time.  I just noticed some of the cartons are bulging rather than being vacuumed in as usual. I've never seen this.  They are well within the expiration date and the other cartons in the case are fine.  Are the bulged cartons still okay?

10 Messages

Hey there, 

Thanks for your reaching out and checking in with us about this. 

Several explanations could have caused this to happen to the packages, but first and foremost, can you see any visible damage to the outer packaging of the swollen cartons, i.e: holes, leaks, or opened caps?

Air leaks in the cartons can compromise the integrity of the products which could cause them to have spoiled prematurely. It would also be helpful to know how the products were stored and as well as the room temperature they were stored in. 

Did you have a chance to open any of the swollen cartons, if yes did you notice any smell that could indicate that the carton has spoiled? 

In the meantime, we would appreciate it if you could reach out to us via our complaints form in the provided link so that our Quality team can look further into this issue, and we can sort this out for you.  

Warmest Regards

Rhulane

1 Message

1 year ago

Hi! I was able to get some of the chilled oat drinks (the dark blue one), from a local give away store. I'm not entirely sure if they were chilled, as they were kept outside (+-10°) to take with you for free. The expiration date is today. Are these still safe to drink?

(edited)

14 Messages

Hi Wendy,

and thanks for reaching out. 

Our chilled products should be stored cold obviously, but I still would not let that alone mean that the one you got is rendered inedible. Also, the best-by-date is just that, an indicator of when something ought to be consumed. 

What I recommend is that you give it a smell, if it smells fine then pour it into a glass and if it still is fine go ahead and give it a taste. Should all those steps be okay then I would personally drink it. However, with that said, only you can be the judge on if it still is good.

Oats crossed!

2 Messages

1 year ago

Hi

I was accidentally delivered the chilled version and not the ambient one, so did not store in the fridge. They have been out of the fridge for over a week, are they still ok to drink. Does 'losing its freshness' mean that they are no longer ok to drink, or they might taste a little different?

Thanks

47 Messages

Hey Keshvi!

As much as I hate to see food go to waste, I wouldn't recommend drinking these cartons as we can't guarantee both quality and safety. The chilled carton packaging isn't designed to protect the product inside when left at room temperature for an extended period of time so please go ahead and throw them out. 

Can you let me know which country you're based in as we'd love to make a note of the confusion to feed it back to our product team?

Thanks!

2 Messages

I’m in the uk. Delivered from Waitrose 

47 Messages

Hey Keshvi!

I'd love to send a couple of vouchers your way to make up for the carton mix-up and wastage. Pop an email to info.uk@oatly.com with a screenshot of this conversation and one of our team will take care of that for you.

1 year ago

Hi the unopened on the go cartons were kept in the fridge in Waitrose. After taking them home can I keep them in room temperature please? Are they meant to stay in the fridge? Thanks 

47 Messages

Hey Charlene!

Absolutely. Our on-the-go cartons of oat drink can be stored either in the fridge or at room temp until they're opened so even though they're stored in the fridge section of the supermarket, feel free to pop them in your cupboard at home if you're short of fridge space.

Have a happy Oatly-drinking Friday,

Bex

1 year ago

Hi, I use the Oatly barista 1l and 500ml bottles for my daughter who is dairy free. We have been storing both in the cupboard and then putting them in the fridge when open. I have just noticed that on the 1l bottle, it says to refrigerate once opened but the 500ml bottles just say to keep refrigerated. The 500ml bottles aren’t in the chilled section of your website so I am slightly confused as to whether I should be storing the unopened bottles in the fridge or not. I have also noticed that a few weeks ago the bottles didn’t have an extra seal in the spout but now they do, does this make a difference? Thanks! 

47 Messages

Hey Laura!

There's a slight misprint on some of our 500ml cartons where they state to keep refrigerated whereas, in reality, you're able to keep them stored at room temperature until the seal is broken. We're sorry for any confusion! The right team has been alerted and we'll make sure it's changed for any future carton printing. You might notice it for a while longer until the current print batch runs out. 

All the best,

Bex

1 year ago

Hi, I was planning on taking some of the smaller oat drink cartons (250ml) to a festival so I could open one each day (no refrigeration). My question is, would these cartons still be okay if they are kept at temperatures ranging from 20-28°C? 

26 Messages

Hi Michael,

Sounds like you've planned well for your upcoming festival time! Unopened, our on-the-go cartons can definitely be stored at room temperature — I would generally keep them out of the sunlight when possible. Spoiled oatmilk will usually have a soured taste to it, if this tip helps give you a peace of mind. Cheers and hope that you have an amazing time.

Peace, oats and love.

Ruby from Oatly

2 Messages

10 months ago

Hey there I put the ambient oat milk in the fridge when I baught it however it’s un opened, can I store it in a cupboard now after it’s been stored in the fridge for a week but it’s un opened. 

2 Messages

10 months ago

Hey there,

I baught the ambient oat milk and accidentally stored it in fridge it’s unopened. Am I able to take it out the fridge and store in the cupboard now on as it’s un opened. 

26 Messages

Hi Gursimon,

This happens to the best of us! It's totally fine to store our unopened ambient oatmilk cartons in the fridge or cupboard, so you should be in good shape. Cheers and I hope that you enjoy this carton of Oatly.

In oats we trust,

Ruby from Oatly