st_patrick's profile

Thursday, September 28th, 2023 8:58 PM

Is added vitamin B12 vegan? What source?

Most of the Oatly oat milks are described as vegan, while most of them have additional ingredient vitamin B12. 

Since most of additional vitamin B12 is based on animals, I would like to know, from what source the added vitamin B12 in Oatly oat milks are taken?

Thanks in advance!

JP 

67 Messages

1 year ago

Hey JP, 

That's true, all of our products are 100% plant-based. As to your question, we use cyanocobalamin which is a plant-based B12 vitamin to fortify our products.

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Oats of love, 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Cyanocobalanin is a poison for your body! You should use Methylcobalanin wich is the form that can be transformed by the body and used. Cyanocobalanin is cobalt + cyanide. Cyanide is used in chemical weapons, is toxic and if you want to improve your health start by getting rid off Cyanocobalanine

141 Messages

Hi there Laheurte,

please rest assured we have no interest in putting anything bad in our products.

Please also check your sources before posting the above claims. There's no conclusive evidence from clinical nutritional research suggesting that cyanocobalamin is toxic, even in larger doses. Occasional (allergic) reactions are generally connected to impurities in the vitamin preparation rather than the cyanocobalamin itself.

The B12 we use is produced by microbial fermentation of corn-steep liquor, maltose, and glucose.

Any further questions or concerns, please let us know!

All the best, 

Åsa

2 Messages

Hello, and thank you for your answer.

my sources are science. And So you can all go check my sources by yourself by doing your own research. You should though, check science real knowledge before accusing me of not doing the work, thank you. 

So you can go now check by yourselves on the national library of medicine website by searching on google “Cyanocobalamin Pubchem”    (https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Cyanocobalamin-_Vitamin-B12#section=Parent-Compound ) then go to section 5.3 and click on CID 768 Hydrogen Cyanide and then let me know what you discover ! This compound is flammable, accute toxic health hazard and environmental hazard. Not to put the blame on you only, this is the most common form of B12 used in the world! The body can’t even use this it has to be converted into hydroxy cobalamin. People that say things like the dosage determines the poison, that is pathetically nonsensical because for instance nobody get mercury poisoning with a single allowable dose of mercury. 
Now scroll down on the description of Hydrogen Cyanide page and let me know what you see.

I will help you : “Hydrogen Cyanide is a highly toxic conjugate acid of a cyanide that is used as a chemical weapon agent. It is characterized as a colorless gas or liquid with a strong pungent odor that causes irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract, as well as toxic systemic effects.”

So sorry, but yes! When you put B12 Cyanocobalamin in your body, that’s what you get! You’re taking Cyanide base B12! 
The argument is that it s not enough cyanide to cause harm ( wich i agree, once again you have safe levels of mercury, safe levels of fluorides … but it’s still a neurotoxin ) so now how much Oat milk containing B12 Cyanocobalamin are you guys drinking per day ? 
Maybe you just want Oat milk ? 

141 Messages

Hello again! 

Thank you for providing your sources. As a food company we always follow the recommendations by authorities such as EFSA (the European Food Safety Authority) or FDA, who provide risk assessments (from the latest scientific resources) about ingredients.

Much to your point, Cyanocobalamin is widely used - also in B12 supplements that are important for some people. Animal based foods are a source of B12 and nutritional guidelines recommend choosing plant-based drinks that are enriched with vitamins and minerals - including B12 - to not miss out on vital nutrients. 

Within EMEA, the B12 level is 0.24 µg/100ml which is 10% of the Nutrient Reference Value (NRV). If you prefer oat drink without any enrichment, you’ll find varieties on our website!

Hope this clarifies and that you feel safe using our products. 

All the best, 
Åsa at Oatly