AGS's profile

Tuesday, March 5th, 2024 9:15 AM

Oat Drink Barista Organic

Hi! I am an usual consumer of Oatly drink barista edition (for coffee/tea). I just love it. I decided to try the organic version, thinking that it was going to give the same flavour/texture, but being better, sustainably-wise. I found it quite different and not really matching with the flavour that I´m used to, compared to the usual version. 

I'm just curious about your opinions and whether people have commented on these differences.

Is it the purpose of this version to be mixed with coffee? 

Thank you!
/A.

Accepted Solution

62 Messages

6 months ago

Hey Alba, 

Thanks for connecting with us! 

Making the Barista Organic required a completely new product development. We couldn’t simply change our existing ingredients in the Barista Edition to organic ones. So, apart from having a different ingredient list, the Barista Organic has another formulation and technology compared to the Barista Edition. This resulted in a different taste profile, so you are absolutely correct in that it is not the flavor that you are used to with the Barista Edition! 

Our Organic Barista is an option for all those that want an Organic version and it works great with darker roasts!

Let me know if you have any further questions, 

Oat regards, 
Sophia 

3 Messages

5 months ago

I found the Oatly Barista Organic similarly disspointing as most people on this forum. The regular Barista edition is quite unique in how creamy & fluffy it is, whips or steams very well and has a great flavour. But the organic edition is like other organic oat barista drinks I've tried (rude health etc.) - a bit more sour, splitting more easily, not as creamy, it foams less etc. Really dissapointing and I find it quite puzzling as well: what is it about the regular barista that cannot simply replaced with an organic version - it makes me slightly suspicious about the original barista drink. Like some others I always buy my products in bulk and was so stupid to buy a whole lot of the organic barista - so will be stuk with this for a while.

62 Messages

Hey Cornelia, 

Nothing to be suspicious about, the combination of a higher fat content and a different acidity regulator resulted in two different products with very different taste profiles and ingredients (not intended to be the same)! We simply couldn't take the Barista Oat Drink and make it Organic.

Some hot tips to look out for are:

_The Organic Barista works better with darker roasts and can be a bit more sensitive to lighter roasts.

_Harsh water (such as mineral water that contains high Calcium and Magnesium ions) can also affect the stability of our Barista Organic. 

_The Barista Organic works best when heating with lower temperatures, unlike our non-organic which is recommended to heat at 60 degrees.  

For a full list of ingredients please visit the section 'Stuff We Make' on our website and under the hamburger menu select your country. I am happy to help answer any specific questions or concerns that may arise.

Oat regards, 
Sophia 

(edited)

3 Messages

Thank you for this explanation - I just really do not understand why you would deliberately develop a product that has these caveats when using it how it is intended, while the 'original' works so well. We were discussing this with friends who have the same issue - and we were really wondering how that choice of product development would have come about. As the original barista works so well, why not recreate it in an organic version, with a similar higher fat content and a similar acidity regulator, so they are both working as well and taste the same. Anyway, thank you for the reply, I'll keep on trying different organic Barista oatdrinks till I found one that suits :)

62 Messages

Hey again, 

Like I said before we simply couldn't take the Barista and make it organic due to the regulations around Organic products. The Barista Oat Drink has dipotassium phosphates which prevent it from curdling in hot beverages, dipotassium phosphates can't be added to organic products so we’ve been looking for alternatives for a while and finally, we’ve managed to develop a recipe that works together with potassium carbonate. Potassium carbonate is a salt that is synthetically produced and works as an acidity regulator. Just like dipotassium phosphate, it regulates the PH making sure the oat drink doesn’t curdle in hot beverages. 

Additionally, because it is an organic product we're also not able to fortify it with vitamins and minerals the way we fortify the Barista Edition. 

I understand the confusion, but like I said earlier the Barista Edition and the Organic Barista Edition have two very different taste profiles.  

I wish you luck with your search for a plant-based organic drink! 

Regards, 

Sophia