Thalia's profile

Saturday, April 27th, 2024 5:57 PM

Rapeseed oil

Hello, someone told me the rapeseed oil you use in your products is not healthy at all because it is processed in a factory and heated. Only cold pressed would be healthy, is this true or do you use cold pressed oil? They also told me it would disturb the omega balance.. I really love the taste of your product but am curious if it might not be as healthy as I thought. 

This is the message of the person who makes me doubt;

"Rapeseed and canola oil could be quite healthy if it is cold pressed, like the ones you can buy at Holland & Barret. The problem with ALL oils obtained from seeds is that they oxidize very quickly under several circumstances. If rapeseed, sunflower, hemp, etc. are refined in a factory, it will unfortunately go completely wrong by definition. It is heated, bleached, and chemically treated to filter out nasty tastes, etc. The product oxidizes and is also deprived of the very things that could make it healthy. What remains is an oil that can withstand heat, but its healthy ingredients are lost, and unfortunately, chemical residues from the process also remain. The large amount of Omega 6 fatty acids pushes the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 in your body completely out of balance. This is a silent killer and contributes in the long run to the development of obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, autoimmune diseases, heart and vascular diseases, muscle diseases, intestinal diseases, etc. Most industrially used seed oils are slowly poisonous. You don't notice it, but after years of overconsumption, everyone gets problems from it” 

141 Messages

6 months ago

Hi there Thalia,

Thanks for checking with us on this one since there are lots of rumours out there about rapeseed oil that aren’t based on facts. Obviously we don’t have any interest to put something harmful in our products and choose every ingredient with great care.

Rapeseed oil is endorsed by worldwide nutritional guidelines as there are proven health effects over time. The general recommendations are to move away from saturated fats to unsaturated – as it's better for our heart health, so quite the opposite as to what’s suggested in the text you copied. 

We’re using expeller pressed (no chemicals used in the process, but it’s not cold pressed as heat is formed in the pressing). As for the omega 3 and 6, they're not heat sensitive so equal amounts in both expeller- and cold pressed rapeseed oil.

Rapeseed oil has a ratio of 22:10 – so higher in omega-3 than most other oils (also, the total intake of each of these is more important than the ratio, as long as basic dietary requirements are covered). 

Hope this was helpful and that you’ll continue enjoying our oat drink! It serves both our health as well as the planet’s since plant-based drinks also generally have a much lower climate impact than dairy.

Any further questions please let us know!

Love,

Åsa at Oatly

2 Messages

Hi Asa,

I feel that you did not respond to Thalia's concerns.

(1) Thalia stated that omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are very heat-sensitive. You disagreed, stating they are not heat-sensitive. However, that is false.  Could you please fact-check? These fatty acids are highly unstable when exposed to heat or light, creating dangerous compounds.

(2) You stated that the move to unsaturated rather than saturated is healthy (probably false, but that's besides the point), which you stated is "quite the opposite" of what her post suggested. However, in fact, her post did not make any mention of saturated vs unsaturated, so you simply side-stepped her topic.

(3) You stated that ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is about 2:1 in canola oil and stated it is much better than most seed oils in terms of the ratio. This is correct. However, you subsequently stated that the ratio is not actually very important according to nutritionists. That is false, the ratio does matter according to most nutritionists (or at least this is debatable).

(4) You did answer her main question, stating that the rapeseed oil is heat processed, so that was helpful.

Thank you

2 Messages

Also I want to point out there is a non-fat Oatly version now, which would resolve Thalia's concern.

141 Messages

Hello there Timothy and thanks for your input here. Happy to clarify!

First of all, please rest assured that all our statements are fact checked by registered dietitians and as stated above, as a company we rely on the advice from health authorities that provide global (and country specific) dietary guidelines, based on major research on health effects over time.

1) Yes, vegetable oils with a high proportion of fatty acids are effected by heat, but not so that it would alter the nutritional profile or quality. Expeller pressed rapeseed oil, which we use, means that the oil seeds are squeezed in an expeller press machine = temperature rises.  
2) Dietary guidelines all promote more unsaturated than saturated fat in our diets and this statement was related to Thalia’s first part – that rapeseed oil isn’t healthy.  
3) It’s been concluded by (for example) the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO) that the total intake of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids is more important than the specific ratio, as long as one’s basic dietary requirements are covered. 

Any further concerns or questions, we’re here to chat! 

All the best, 
Åsa at Oatly