Inez's profile

Thu, Jun 23, 2022 9:55 AM

What’s the difference between your chilled vs. your ambient oat drink?

Everyone has a different go-to aisle for milk in the supermarket. Some head straight to the refrigerated section, others wander into the long-life section. Whether you’re looking in the fridge, or on the shelf, you can be sure to find some Oatly goodness that can help you ditch traditional cow’s milk!   

Our chilled cartons need to be kept in the fridge from purchase to their final drop, whereas the ambient cartons can be kept at room temperature for up to a year, and just need to be popped in the fridge from the moment you first open it. And that’s actually the only real difference between the two ranges.

However, both ranges include different varieties of oat drinks to suit you, your needs, desires and how you like to use your Oatly. So, whether that be an oat drink perfect for frothy coffees, a chocolate option or an organic version we can guarantee that you will find your Oatly BFF – ambient or chilled. You can explore all ingredients here (be sure to select your market for country-specific products) if you’d like to compare the oatlicious drinks!

Ps! Most our oat drinks have a lot of good things in common: the enrichment, the creamy consistency and the fact that they all can be used in cooking or baking — if you don’t prefer drinking them as they are, of course!

1 Message

2 m ago

Thanks for this answer! I was wondering about this too.

The question I still couldn't find an answer to, is why does the cooled one have a shorter "use-by-date"? Are they heat-treated in a different way? 

17 Messages

Hi Luke,

thanks for the feedback there - good point! 

We use the same heat treatment for pretty much all our products but the difference here lies in the packaging. The ambient drinks have an extra layer of aluminum as well as an inner seal underneath the lid. This allows a longer shelf life (unopened) whereas the chilled ones have just a regular lid with no inner seal. 

Hope this clarifies!

Love, 

Åsa at Oatly

1 Message

So you are charging more for chilling the same product that doesn’t last as long…? This doesn’t make sense to me surely this is a waste of energy and money 🤔 

17 Messages

Hi Dawn,

thanks for your question!

Agree the pricing in store may seem confusing at times and as for energy, it's true the climate footprint is a tad higher for our chilled version; 0,31 kg CO2e vs 0,27 kg CO2e - this difference mainly has to do with storage and transportation.

For us, it's about offering a range including long life oat drinks (that's how we started way back!) as well as being visible and ready available in the chilled section right next to dairy for an easy shift to plant-based! Either way we hope you've found your favourite? 

Love,

Åsa at Oatly

2 Messages

1 m ago

Hi so does the chilled version and the ambient versions taste exactly the same then? 

Inez

35 Messages

Hi @rachael_wallis!

That depends a little on which product you have in mind, in particular. We have multiple versions of both chilled and ambient oat drinks. But since the recipes for the ambient vs. the chilled drinks do vary slightly, it's of course possible that you may experience a difference in taste.  

Let me know if you had a specific oat drink in mind and I'll be sure to investigate further! 

Love,

Inez at Oatly

1 Message

The barista blend, chilled vs ambient taste wise? 

8 Messages

Hi Tina, 

The taste should be the same as they use the same recipe. Do let us know if you have any other questions. 

Have an oatsome day!

Love,

Shawn from Oatly