Inez's profile

Thursday, June 23rd, 2022 9:55 AM

What’s the difference between your chilled vs. your ambient oat drink?

Everyone has a different go-to aisle for milk in the supermarket. Some head straight to the refrigerated section, others wander into the long-life section. Whether you’re looking in the fridge, or on the shelf, you can be sure to find some Oatly goodness that can help you ditch traditional cow’s milk!   

Our chilled cartons need to be kept in the fridge from purchase to their final drop, whereas the ambient cartons can be kept at room temperature for up to a year, and just need to be popped in the fridge from the moment you first open it. And that’s actually the only real difference between the two ranges.

However, both ranges include different varieties of oat drinks to suit you, your needs, desires and how you like to use your Oatly. So, whether that be an oat drink perfect for frothy coffees, a chocolate option or an organic version we can guarantee that you will find your Oatly BFF – ambient or chilled. You can explore all ingredients here (be sure to select your market for country-specific products) if you’d like to compare the oatlicious drinks!

Ps! Most our oat drinks have a lot of good things in common: the enrichment, the creamy consistency and the fact that they all can be used in cooking or baking — if you don’t prefer drinking them as they are, of course!

1 Message

11 months ago

Hi! I recently bought a few liters of the chilled versions of the whole oat drink. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough space in my fridge to store all of them vertically. Will it be okay to store them lying down, considering that there is no inner seal to the container’s lid?

(edited)

132 Messages

Hi Renzo,

that works perfectly fine. Once opened though (as with any fluid content) do store upright to prevent a possible messy fridge!

Have an oatstanding day ahead.

All the best,

Åsa at Oatly

1 Message

10 months ago

Hi, I accidentally left out a carton of Semi Oat Drink, thinking it was the ambient until opened carton. It's been less than 24 hrs. Will I need to dispose of this? Thank you

132 Messages

Hi Connor,

you'll always be able to tell from the taste or smell if an oat drink has gone off - as a general rule it's perfectly OK to drink, if you're able to (your taste buds will likely not allow you to finish a gulp of sour oat drink!)

After a while on the counter it may (like most chilled food) turn sour but it's hard to say. Let us know how it went!

Love,

Åsa at Oatly

2 Messages

9 days ago

Hello,

Can you please provide the heat treatment process method for the chilled product? Is it the same as the ambient oat milk (UHT)? 

Thank you so much in advance.

Cheers,

14 Messages

Hi Nick, thanks for getting in touch! Yes, our UHT treatment is the same for all our oat drinks. 

All our products are heat treated in order to extend shelf life, and the UHT treatment kills not only active bacteria, but also their spores. Also, we use either UHT or pasteurization as heating processes, as UHT is used for natural products whereas pasteurization is used for those products with fruit flavors (as UHT would adversely affect the taste of these products). 

Hope that gives you more insight Nick!