C

Thursday, June 23rd, 2022 9:56 AM

Why is Oatly organic not enriched?

While enrichment is important to us, our current organic line offered in Europe cannot be enriched due to existing EU legislation of organic products.

We currently don’t offer organic products in the US as sourcing oats that are both gluten-free and organic, at a price level available for the average shopper to afford, isn’t a viable option for us just yet. In other words, choosing to use gluten-free oats from conventional producers means we can instead scale more quickly and get more oat drink to more people at a more accessible price. Which we believe is of higher priority and the most efficient way to tackle climate change today – all while ensuring our North American products are suitable for people with food allergies.

If you’re curious to learn more about our approach to enrichment, check out this piece.

2 Messages

5 months ago

We would love if you also offered an organic option for those of us willing to pay more for safely grown oats. Your products taste superior to other brands, and I am a huge fan of non dairy milks and have tried most of them. However, as a farmer, I am well aware of the dangerous chemicals such as Chlormequat and Glyphosate which are commonly used in the conventional oat harvesting process. Please let your patrons have a choice and I hope you will be surprised at how many of us will opt to pay more for safe products! You can still offer both for buyers who may opt for the lower price point.

(edited)

21 Messages

Hi Jules,

thanks for reaching out! We're happy to hear you seem to like our liquid oats! 

Whether is organic or conventional oats, we’re picky and aim only for high-quality oats to use (we even have a dedicated thread only for glyphosate here on OatlyFans). We work with oat suppliers who regularly test their raw oats for a broad range of pesticide residues to maintain high quality and ensure minimal residual substances are present. To date, test results provided to us show levels far below regulatory thresholds and, in the majority of cases, no detectable results at all.

For those who prefer an organic option, we offer this in most markets, but it depends on where you’re located? 

All the best, 

Jeanna at Oatly